Eliminate points for tickets! Complete this 4-hour defensive driving course to reduce the effects of minor traffic violations. This class is made available by the District Attorney through Mayland Community College, Mountain Professionals, Inc., and the Safety and Health Council of North Carolina to train motorists in the principles of defensive driving.
Class locations and schedules:
3/28. T. 5:30-9:30 p.m.
4/4, T, 5:30-9:30 p.m.
5/9, T, 5:30-9:30 p.m.
You will need the following to register:
- Your traffic citation;
- Your driver’s license;
- $65.00 cash (please bring correct change) or money order made payable to Mayland Community College. This is a self-supporting class and registration fees are non-refundable.
You are eligible if your citation is for one of the following:
- City Code Violations;
- Exceeding a safe speed;
- No child restraint;
- Driving left of center;
- Speeding 20 mph or less over limit in 35 zone OR 15 mph or less over limit in all zones over 40;
- Leaving vehicle unattended;
- Speed less than minimum;
- Too fast for conditions;
- Crossing median;
- Any equipment violation;
- Failure to stop for RR warning;
- Driving without two headlights;
- Stop sign violation;
- Failing to dim headlights;
- Failing to burn headlamps;
- Unsafe movement;
- Exceeding posted speed limit;
- Failing to reduce speed;
- Improper use of traffic lane;
- Wrong way on one-way road;
- Overloading violations;
- Red light violation;
- Failing to give turn signal;
- Failing to yield right-of-way.
In order to take advantage of this opportunity you MUST:
- Have written permission from the DA to take the class if you were speeding more than 20 mph or less over limit in 35 zone OR 15 mph or less over limit in all zones over 40, if you were speeding in a work or school zone, if you were driving over 80 mph, or you have taken the class in the last three years.
- Pay $65.00 for the cost of administering and teaching the Defensive Driving Course (cash or money order made payable to Mayland Community College).
- Provide proof of course completion.
- Pay all applicable court costs and fines (five (5) days before your scheduled court date) to the Clerk of Court in the county in which you received your citation.
You are NOT eligible and you CANNOT take advantage of the program if:
- Your charge is not listed above;
- Your court date has passed;
- You have taken the course in the previous 3 years;
- You have paid your citation prior to class;
- You have been convicted of a violation carrying 4 points or more in the past three years;
- You have accumulated 5 points or more in the past 3 yrs.