Financial Aid at MCC

Frequently Asked Questions of our Financial Aid department


Programs of Study:

What Degree or Program can I pursue at MCC?

What Program can I pursue at MCC? MCC currently offers 29 Programs of Study, including 15 degree, 14 diploma and 34 certificate opportunities.

Click here to explore the list!


More About MCC:

Facts & Figures

Policies, Statistics, and much helpful information can be located on our About Us page.


Current News:

What's Going On?

Announcements, News and the latest Happenings!

LEO student portal
MCC on Facebook and Twitter


How do I apply for financial aid?

You must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for each new academic year.  You may complete the FAFSA online at, by phone between 8:00am and midnight Eastern time at 1-800-433-3242, or you may contact the Financial Aid Department to schedule an appointment for help submitting the FAFSA.

I’ve submitted my FAFSA.  What happens next?

After submitting your FAFSA, you will receive an email (using the email account listed on your FAFSA) from the Department of Education containing a link from which you can print your Student Aid Report (SAR).  The SAR is a print out of all the information you included on your FAFSA and also contains your Expected Family Contribution (EFC).   You will also receive an email or a letter from Mayland requesting additional documentation for the purpose of processing your FAFSA application.  Please respond promptly to ensure timely processing of you application.  The FAFSA and all required documentation must be received two weeks prior to the published deregistration date in order to guarantee processing of financial aid before the last day to pay.  100% payment is expected from those students whose financial aid has not been processed by the designated payment date for each registration period or who have not made payment arrangements through the Tuition Payment Plan.  Contact the Financial Aid Office if you have not received a letter or email within two weeks of submitting the FAFSA.

Must I re-apply for financial aid each year?

Yes.  Because financial aid is based on financial need, students must complete a new FAFSA application each academic year.  Each fall semester begins a new award period, so the FAFSA should be completed each spring for the upcoming fall smester.

Do I have to be a fulltime student to get financial aid?

No. All of the Pell Grant awards are based on full time status (12 credit hours or more). However, if the student attends less than 12 credit hours, the Pell Grant award will be prorated based on the number of credit hours the student is actually attending. Students may also be eligible for Work-Study (FWS) and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) if attending less than full time. Students must be enrolled at least 6 credit hours or more to be eligible for Work Study, the North Carolina Community College Grant (NCCCG) or the North Carolina Education Lottery Scholarship (NCELS).

When will I get my financial aid funds?

Students who apply, submit all required documentation, and meet eligibility requirements will receive an email or letter stating the amount of the award they are eligible to receive.  This amount is based on full-time enrollment (12 or more credit hours) and will be adjusted accordingly for students who attend less than full-time.  

All financial aid funds are deposited into your student account at the college from which tuition and fees are drafted.  You may then use your student ID number to charge books and supplies at the bookstore up to the amount of funds that remain in your account.  After all charges have been deducted from the account, a refund will be issued to you through your Higher One Account. 

Pell Grant Disbursement Schedule:

2014 - 2015 Financial Aid Disbursement Schedule

Do I have to report my parents’ income?

Financial aid is based on the principle that students and their parents have the primary responsibility to cover the expenses of postsecondary education.

The federal government will consider a student independent of parents if one of the following applies:

  • The student is 24 years or older.
  • The student is married.
  • The student has legal dependents (other than spouse) for which he/she provides more than half of the support.
  • The student is considered to be a ward of the court, orphan, emancipated minor, or in legal guardianship.
  • The student is a Veteran.

Can I apply for financial aid if I haven’t applied for admission?

Yes.  However, it is best to apply for admission first.  To complete the process to receive Pell Grant funding, a Mayland Community College application along with all transcripts from other schools must be on record in the Registrar’s Office.

Are all programs of study eligible for financial aid?

No.  Your program of study must be a Pell approved program.  

Students taking Continuing Education classes are not eligible to receive Federal financial aid. 

Students who are participating in dual enrollment classes are not eligible to receive Pell grant funding.  All students must have at least a high school diploma or GED®, or have graduated from a home school.

Students classified as “Special Credit,” “Undecided,” or non-degree seeking are ineligible for Federal financial aid. 

Some certificate and diploma programs do not qualify for Federal student aid or they qualify for a reduced aid award based on the federally mandated clock hour program calculation or the clock to credit hour conversion formula.  See the list of Pell eligible programs to find out which programs are clock hour and clock to credit hour conversion programs.

Any course applied to a student’s Pell Grant award must be a required course for that student’s specific Pell eligible program of study (major).  The required courses for each program are listed in the Mayland Community College Catalog.

Federal Pell Grant funding will pay for up to 30 credit hours of remedial coursework.

What happens if I withdraw from a class or drop out completely?

It is imperative to understand that failing grades and withdrawals will count against your satisfactory academic progress and could affect your financial aid status.

In October of 2000, the Higher Education Amendments of 1998, Public law 105-244, required colleges to notify students who received financial aid (Title IV Funds) and withdrew from all classes of the Return to Title IV Funds Policy.  Therefore, if a student completely withdraws from college before the 60% point of the semester, that student may be required to return all or part of the aid he/she was awarded.  Federal and State regulations also require that students receiving financial aid maintain satisfactory academic progress.  This includes completing 67% of the total cumulative credit hours attempted at Mayland Community College. 

It is the student’s responsibility to attend the first day of class.  Failure to attend or failure to contact the instructor with the intent to attend may negatively impact a student’s financial aid award.

What is verification?

Verification is a random process used by the U.S. Department of Education and Mayland Community College to verify that the information recorded on the FAFSA application is accurate.

If you are chosen for verification, you may be asked to submit several required documents that include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Verification Worksheet (Dependent or Independent)
  • Official IRS tax transcripts
  • Parents' official IRS tax transcripts (dependent students only)
  • Additional documentation as required for certain verification cases

PLEASE NOTE:  Any corrections made to a student's FAFSA during the verification process could potentially increase or reduce the student's Expected Family Contribution and consequently, his/her financial aid eligibility.  Students are notified of their actual financial aid eligibility in the award letter received once processing is complete.

Financial aid will only be awarded when all documentation required for verification has been submitted and the process has been completed.  Students who do not submit all required documentation by the published deadline dates of the semester for which they are enrolling will be required to pay out of pocket and will be verified and awarded (if eligible) after the start of the semester.

first image second image third image fourth image fifth image sixth image
themed object